It’s About Place
Father and daughter team, Lloyd Messer and Dana Brown, successful wine distributors from Iowa had a vision. The vision was to find that perfect place to grow estate grapes and produce small lot, award winning, world class wines; their search led them to Paso Robles. Finding what they believed was that perfect terroir, 1500 feet above sea level on a limestone plateau, Lloyd and Dana purchased 442 acres in 2000, where they would grow grapes and make wine. In respect to the land, as an homage to the soil, they named the winery Calcareous, and as they proudly proclaim on their website, “we here at Calcareous celebrate above all other factors, our place. Let The Soil Speak!” And, speak it does.
A Vision and a View
Stepping out of your car, approaching the path leading to the modern, inviting tasting room, known as Lloyd’s Lookout, you may have your breath taken away by the incredible vista that stretches before you. Lloyd Messer (who passed away in 2006), had more than a vision of producing world class wines, he also had the far-sightedness to create a special spot where visitors could come, sit, sip and experience the land surrounding them. Lloyd’s Lookout is such a place, whether you sip inside, gazing through the expansive glass windows, or sit outside on the patio, experiencing all that surrounds you — your five senses being aroused as you feel the breeze against your skin, hear the hawks as they fly above, while enjoying the aroma and fragrance and taste of the wine. You may even think to yourself: This is Shangri-La.
What’s Your Pleasure?
When you step into the tasting room, one of Calcareous’ friendly, wine knowledgeable hosts will greet you. Tasting these award winning wines is a treat in itself, and Calcareous offers several tasting options to choose from:
• Walk-ins are always welcome to enjoy a standard wine tasting which includes an assortment of Calcareous’ award winning whites and reds.
• For a more in-depth experience, book a sit down wine and cheese pairing. Your dedicated wine host will guide you through the nuances of the wines, as you enjoy them with perfectly paired artisanal cheeses.
• For the ultimate Calcareous experience, reserve a wine and cheese paired tour. You will tour the vineyard and production area, being given a more in-depth explanation of the soil, fruit and all that goes into producing these elegant wines. Enjoy artisan cheeses while you are treated to a specially selected library wines paired with your tasting.
• On Saturdays and Sundays (between noon and 3 p.m.), let your taste buds go wild with a wine and food paired lunch (prepared by Thomas Hill Organics).
And….There is More
There is always something different and unique happening at Calcareous to enhance your visit, in addition to the variety of tastings to choose from. Month after month there are special events such as blend-fests, BBQ’s, winemaker’s dinners, even a pig roast and paella and Pinot event. Calcareous celebrates not only wine and people, but the beauty of life and friendship itself, brought together by the common denominator of their award winning wines.
What began as a dream to find the perfect place or terroir, to express the uniqueness of Paso Robles wines, has evolved into a perfect site where people gather and come together to experience the wines, ambience and friendship of Calcareous.
On the path approaching the tasting room you may notice a pair of Lloyd’s bronzed boots, with a plaque that reads: “With every step of these boots, Lloyd Messer came closer and closer to his dream of one day opening Calcareous Vineyard in the foothills of Paso Robles, California.” Lloyd Messer’s dream of a special place lives on daily, with his daughter Dana Brown helping to preserve and keep that dream alive. Visit Calcareous and share that dream.
Calcareous Vineyards is located at 3430 Peachy Canyon Road in Paso Robles. The tasting room is open 10 a.m. to
5 p.m. (except for designated holidays.)
• Don’t miss WINEDOWN WEDNESDAYS, through September 29th. The pizza oven will be fired up, wines will be poured and local talent will be on hand to entertain, 5:00pm-8:00pm. Enjoy fun, food, wine and music while meeting new friends.
• Calcareous was selected for the 2018 Certificate of Excellence by Trip Advisor
• Consistently receiving praise and acclaim from such notable publications and wine experts such as: Wine Spectator, Robert Parker, Jeb Dunnuck, Vinous and others
• Featured in Wine Spectator’s “9 Powerful Reds from Paso Robles,” (April 2015)
Be certain to check the website for news and events for “all things” Calcareous, including wine club information.